Wednesday, August 3, 2011

RIP ball-in-a-ball ball

Well, Yukonski's ball-in-a-ball ball is not dead yet, but it's been a long time coming, and well, it's terminal.  He chewed some last shreds of plastic, uniting two of the ever growing holes.  "What's a ball-in-a-ball ball?"  It's a hard plastic ball with four good sized holes in it, and a smaller ball inside.  Most pet stores carry them, so replacing it won't be difficult.  We've had this toy for over 2 years, but it's spent extended periods under the kitchen cabinet.  He gets so excited when he has this toy, because it's one he's been allowed to play with in the house.

With it being so hot outside, I haven't wanted Yukon to work his yard ball after 9 am.  He's a rambo 5 year-old Rotti-mix, and being bored is a sure recipe for disaster. Yesterday, I was sweeping up the shed hair that's forming tumbleweed masses in all the corners due to using the fans so much.  I had a sneaking suspicion of what I'd find under the cabinet....a pair of leather shoes, and two left crocs, and yes, the ball-in-a-ball ball.  I pulled it out and dusted it off over the trash can.  He was jumping in place before I ever set it on the floor.  Let me say, it is LOUD rolling around the hardwood floors.  But then, it wasn't rolling so much, as Yukon had it so misshapen already.

In the beginning, Yukon had gotten his lower jaw stuck in the holes, and had to use his paws to pry the ball off his chin.  (rather humorous--but we didn't dare laugh)  Now the holes have been enlarged and two of them met this morning.  He's tearing off small bits of hard plastic as I type.  Okay.  Enough.  I gotta parent, since my kid is being destructive and basically flirting with disaster.....I'm saving my vet money to get his teeth worked on.  I don't need him swallowing jagged plastic bits.

I pulled the soft green ball out of the shell ball.  Gretchen immediately began nosing it around the room!!!  She never plays with toys...(Perhaps because Yukon is a toy-hog?)  I held the shell and told him "Broken".  I doubt he gets it, although we've had this same conversation about numerous tennis balls over the years.  Then I put it in the bird room and will take it out with the trash later....of course he would retrieve the corpse from the trash if I put it there now.  Yukon is laying on the office floor, stretched out below the fan--obviously grieving...sigh.

More later.  Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment