Thursday, November 10, 2011

off topic---grandparent scam succeeds

Monday, My parents got a hysterical phone call, supposedly from Martin, stating he was at a wedding in Mexico City.  He desperately needed money to get home.  They wired him $4,000 US.  Then they got a second call, requesting more, and the bank intervened before they sent him $10,000.  My brother John called us on Dave's cell to ask what was going on.  Since Martin has no phone, I called his sweet girlfriend, who said Marty's car had been burglarized Sunday night and the police already caught the guys who did it.

I thought the two incidents might be connected, but Martin told me later that the burglars had been caught in the act and had no time to use his information.  Mom felt really foolish, but relieved that Marty was safely in Bloomington during mid-terms, taking care of business.  I was really furious at the scum that would upset my parents and take advantage of them, but also very touched that they were willing to bankrupt themselves of their life savings to rescue my son.  

Martin is scurrying everywhere, trying to figure out who hacked his information and make sure it doesn't happen again.  Dave's theory is that it was just someone phishing with random phone numbers who got lucky.  (Hearing an elderly male voice the caller just said, "Grandpa?" and Dad said "Marty?  What's wrong?" and the caller had all the information he needed.)  Either way, it's being investigated.  I so hope they catch the eel-scum that is responsible.  Too much excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment