Friday, February 15, 2013

Kat Sqwatch Feva!!!

Literature Blogs

So, my MIL Pat lives across the block and just moved in last Sept.  She had to leave her outdoor barn cat in the country, so Pat was thrilled to find two wild alley cats ensconced under her house.  She began feeding them several times a day, canned food, dry food, people food scraps,anything to help her tame them.  Finally she gets to pet the calico, only to feel kittens wiggling inside....of course.

So I made an appointment at the S/N vet clinic for a free "feral" spay, except that the day we needed to bring the cat to the vet's, she didn't show up.  Pat was certain "Spotty" had hidden under the house to have her kittens, and we missed the appointment.  CWAP!  Next morning, still no cat at the back porch.  Mom was convinced she'd had the kittens.  She went to the garage to head for the post office and who was looking out the garage door (human sized) but "Spotty"....not only was she basically captured, but also extra hungry!!!  WaHoo!

Pat called me and I came over with my cat carrier and a can of really cheap stinky tuna flavor cat food.  Sure enough, Spotty came right up and let mom pat her all she wanted.  Unfortunately, mom's got limited mobility and couldn't get a hold of "Spotty"...so I waited until the cat went under a tool bench and grabbed her.  Now, just because you can pet a feral cat, does not mean you can pick up a feral cat....and it most certainly does not mean you can stick a feral cat into a small cat carrier and shut the lid...."Spotty" was certain she was fighting for her life and I was the enemy trying to take her life from her.  Eventually, I let go...but not before extensive damage was done.  We left Spotty to eat her stinky fish in peace while I went to the ER.

Now, it turns out that the ER does not do a whole lot about cat bites, even multiple bites with deep tissue punctures and long scratches.  I got a tetanus booster and some antibiotics and a "don't do that again" lecture.  Then I went to the S/N vet and asked for a loaner trap....and if one more person asks why I didn't do this in the first place, I will stop talking to them also...along with a half dozen other of my one-time-friends.  I went home to soak my hands (both) in Epsom's salt water.

My hubs went to his mom's and almost immediately (accidentally) released Spotty from the garage.  OOPS!  He then proceeded to catch Spotty's 1 year old son "Fang", whom we took to the clinic for a snip, and two neighborhood cats, one of whom we took in for a snip, but turned out to be a tame neighbor cat--already snipped and chipped.  We returned the neighbor's abducted cat....and set up a trash-can trap for Spotty, until we got the neighbor's cat back to it's owner and could use the trap...meanwhile, my hand had swollen 2x normal and I couldn't type, let alone pour a cup of coffee.  I started shaking, teeth chattering, with a fever...that only lasted about 2 hours, but scared me into going to my own Dr. for follow up.  He extended my antibiotic an additional 5 days.

We did catch Spotty last night (finally) with the vet's trap (Hubs was crushed that she chose the metal trap over his trash-can and stick trap with the actual sardines....I knew that would hurt his feelings....sorry babe.) and took her to the S/N vet's for the emergency spay.  We were still in time to stop the kittens from being born (I know that's not something a lot of "No Kill" rescuers want to hear....but no body wanted to hear my "heartless" solution to unwanted kittens....)Which was the main reason speed was of the essence in catching her to begin with....

The local Feral Trap/Neuter/Return volunteers care for the cat until it is healed enough to be returned to the neighborhood.  Fang should be ready on Sat.  Spotty--whose been re-named Hellynn-- will be home late next week.  I did apologize to mom for cussing so much while I "petted" her cat, hope I've been forgiven.  Now, on day 4, I am able to type after a 1 hour soak and 2 Ibeprophen.  Darn cat...but she has given mom a hobby in the big city...and mom has offered to help brush bunnies this afternoon, since I'm still bunged up.  That should be an experience.  Can't wait.  KIM

No comments:

Post a Comment