Monday, November 5, 2012

animated story--true

Literature Blogs

quick story.. :oldgeezer: ..back in the day, our family lived with my aunt's family :farmer3: for several months as we were between houses. Us 4 cousins "younger" kids (10 thru 5) were sitting quietly at the dining room table :grouphug2: watching through the door to the kitchen stove :stirpot2: where our mothers were cooking something mysterious. :fryegg: We voted and my younger brother was elected to "interrupt" and spy on the upcoming meal.. :notsafe: ..he heard my aunt say, "Do you think we should tell them what it is?" and my mom said, "If we do, they won't eat it." :mrgreen: 

Now I had eaten beef tongue, :muscles: what could be worse than eating a steer's tongue?!?! :( 

My brother got in trouble for leaving the table, :detective: but he did get a good look in the skillet. "It's long strips," he said. "and they're all curled around like octopus arms." :oops: 

We were silent. Sure enough, my aunt brought the skillet to the table :fryegg: and my brother was right....they were trying to feed us OCTOPUSES!!! We bowed our heads and thanked the Lord, :priest: but we wished for once the prayer had been longer. :priest: However, as we passed our empty plates to my aunt, my little brother burst into tears. "Please don't make us eat octopus," he wailed. :cry_baby: 

My aunt was horrified, :slap: "Oh, honey. No. We would never make you eat octopus! This is beef heart. It's good, I promise you." :mrgreen: We were so relieved that it came from a cow :choir: and not an octopus, that we cleaned our plates :dinner:and asked for more. :angel: (It was a cheap cut of meat that they couldn't have served to their husbands, no matter how lean times had become.) :farmer2: :farmer2: :farmer2: :farmer2:

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, right! Like mom would've served us calamari!

    ReplyDelete